. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Letting go of my agenda

May 9, 2016

Letting go of my agenda


By 9 o'clock I was totally maxed out in terms of patience and I knew I needed a redo already. It was Chris' birthday.  I wanted to make cupcakes and have Addi finish this little book I wanted to give to Chris. Isaac was napping, we got the cupcakes part baked, saving the frosting for later, and I was trying to get Addi to answer some questions to write in this book. She was making no sense (I mean she is only two - my first mistake), being uncooperative and growling at me and gritting her teeth. All while I asked a million times if she had to go pee as we're in the thick of potty training. Isaac woke up after a very short nap and I tried to continue our task. Very unsuccessfully. 

Half hour later and she'd had a few time outs for not listening.  I not quickly enough realized my impatience was rubbing off on her and back and forth it went. 10:30 and I felt like our day was already discouraging  and a disaster. 

I think all too often I set up my agenda for the day. Getting a workout video in, certain things cleaned, an activity accomplished. While there's nothing wrong with a plan or schedule I think it's easy for me to set out our day unrealistically, especially now with two kids. 

Going with the flow is at the bottom of my personality traits and I'd like to move it up a little at least. I'll never be a care free mom and I'm totally ok with it. I have many other strengths and that isn't one. But I'd love if it wasn't such a weakness. 

I want to start my day with an idea of what I'd like it to look like but to be okay when it doesn't go as planned. To let go of expectations and adjust my ideal day. Change my plans and move on. To not let a rough morning ruin my day and to start over how ever many times we need. 

And then some days knowing it's just a bad day.  And that may look like throwing in the towel. Putting a diaper on "potty trained" two year old and watching the iPad in bed for too long. Knowing that tomorrow is a new day and we'll try for a better one.  

 

Image Map

7 comments:

Ashley said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I need to learn to let go of my agenda and to slow down and let Noah be little instead of rushing him because Emilya is crying, while he takes his time. I end up getting frustrated with him and that's the first thing they pick up on. I just feel like my time is soo precious right now and I need to slow down and enjoy it instead of hurrying everything along.

Emily said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing this, Katie. I so needed to read this today. We definitely could have used a start over on this day! I think that we have similar personalities - I love to plan the day too. But I totally know what you mean about having to try and be flexible with two little kids! The struggle is REAL. I love what you wrote about starting the day over. I need to try and do this more. When we have bad days (which is so often I feel like!) I feel like it just keeps going more and more downhill. I'd love to hear more about ideas you use to restart the day. I need to work on this! :) Hang in there on the rough days and know you're not alone! :)

Pisceanchick said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

For potty training, my mom said what worked with me was getting a little rubber toy with a hole that you can push water out of. Then push the water out of it over the potty.

Pisceanchick said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

For potty training, my mom said what worked with me was getting a little rubber toy with a hole that you can push water out of. Then push the water out of it over the potty.

Kylie @ Counselor with a Cape said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I don't have the kids to factor in just yet, but I can tell you that I am in the same boat with setting unrealistic expectations for myself. It is definitely something I do often and it makes life hard, so it is something I am working on as well. With being sick these last 9 months it's been a struggle because I'm used to being so productive and disciplined with my things to do. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!!

PolkaDottyPlace said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This is something I struggle with, too. I have a mental to do list to work through every day and some days it feels so good to cross things off. Other days I hold the baby all day and we watch Sophia all day long. You win some you lose some. These days used to really bother me, but now I know tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start. Sometimes I even give myself a do over and start fresh in the afternoon. I'm in the same boat as you so it feels good to know I'm not alone with my expectations.