. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Things I've forgotten about having a baby

March 24, 2016

Things I've forgotten about having a baby


How much baby's spit up and poop.  I forgot that after you feed them, especially in the middle of the night, it can take an hour to get them back down.  Change, swaddle, rock to sleep.  Then poop and start all over again.  And sometimes again.  And maybe again.  

And how much laundry a tiny person can make.  Thank you pee and spit up.

That I do not want to put him down ever.  I thought maybe this would change since having a baby already, but not at all.  I've already cried a few times because I got to hold Addilyn nonstop and I wish I could do the same.  The second Addi is down for a nap or for bedtime, all I want to do and do is snuggle and hold and look at Isaac.  I want to soak up every chance I get to hold him.  

How overwhelming a new baby is.  They are so tiny and so helpless and depend on you for everything.  Even though I am less anxious in general this time around, it is still overwhelming that I am in charge of him all day and night.  

Cabin fever.  With Addilyn I was so scared she would get sick, I don't think we left our house for at least four weeks and even then not much.  We have taken Isaac to the doctors and to the store once, but we know so many people who are sick and there is so much going around that I am scared of him getting sick.  Or even Addilyn getting something.  Although thanks to Chris and Grandma, she has been able to get out and do quite a bit still.  Hopefully in a few more weeks we'll be in more of a routine and will be out more, and the weather is getting nicer so at least we should be able to get outside!

How hard and uncomfortable nursing is.  I nursed Addilyn until she was 22 months, but at that point it was so easy.  I didn't have to wear nursing pads, or even nursing bras.  I wasn't nursing her often so I didn't have to worry about clothes that worked for it and it was such a habit, we didn't have to work at it at all.  The beginning of nursing is so hard.  I have an oversupply, which is great except that it's super painful, took a lot of work before Isaac could latch on each time.  He also has a tongue tie so that's been trickier to work with.  And my boobs are so full and huge and just hurt! I'm excited for a few weeks from now when it's more comfortable for both of us.  

Hormones.  They can come out of nowhere and I can cry for no reason.  Exhaustion, love, overwhelmed, lonely, physically feeling like not myself.  So many things going on and so much to adjust to, then add in hormones and yikes.  Some moments are hard.  

How immediately you are so in love.  I did worry that I wouldn't feel as attached to him as I did to Addilyn.  I think there was part of me that was worried that because Addilyn was so waited for and we went through so much for her to get here, I wouldn't feel the same attachment with Isaac.  There is no debate that I love him just as much and can not imagine my life without him.  


Image Map


4 comments:

Kayla MKOY said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Oh my goodness gracious. He is SO adorable I cannot handle it! :) loving all these updates, girl!

Susannah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Katie, you make cute kids!

Kristen said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

oh gosh, i had forgotten most of those things too..haha! hard, but precious times! He is such a little cutie pie!!

Justine B said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

My little guy had both a tongue tie AND a lip tie. Made for some very painful nursing. I didn't think I'd be able to do it in that first two weeks. After having them revised though, we are still going strong at almost 11 months!