. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Pride and Confidence

September 8, 2014

Pride and Confidence



The other week I was having dinner with my girlfriends and one of my friends made a comment about being able to do something well.  But immediately she said she didn't mean it like that. Another friend commended her for being confident and commented that we often spend so much time bashing ourselves and having low self confidence that it's refreshing to hear someone say something positive about themselves.  

The other day while I was running I was thinking of this conversation.  I wouldn't say I have terribly low self esteem but I definitely don't have great self esteem all the time either.   When I signed up for the marathon I had planned on running the race with a friend, although we'd be doing our training alone as she lives far away. I've done the marathon with a friend once and alone once.  I said I would never do it alone again,  as I didn't enjoy it as nearly as much.  My friend started being able to run much faster than me and I know I won't be able to keep up on race day.  I do not blame her at all for wanting to run as fast as she can but am disappointed and nervous to be running alone.  

The last many weeks I've been feeling frustrated that I can't run faster and I'd finish a run wishing my pace was quicker so I could keep up.  When I was running the other day I was realizing that instead of being proud of myself for finishing my runs I was comparing my time to others and feeling discouraged.  I think when you get in the midst of marathon running and are running so many miles, it's easy to forget what an accomplishment running 9 or 12 or however many miles you do that day.  

Last week at dinner with my girlfriends again, we brought up that conversation and while it sounds kind of cheesy we all went around and said something we were proud of ourselves for.  It was actually really encouraging to hear my friends share what they felt proud of that week.  

I'm proud of myself for all my marathon training.  I'm so proud of myself for running 18 miles this weekend with an average pace of 9:49 and I'm proud for sticking with the training this whole time.  It hasn't been easy for me at all, but I'm doing it and I'm going to be proud of myself every time I run. 

Image Map


10 comments:

Savanna said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

It is so easy to forget the small things. I used to get so mad at myself for not losing Any weight but the fact that I was working out 5 days a week was a huge accomplishment on its own.

Pamela said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

That is def something to proud of!

Sharlee said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

You should absolutely be proud of your training...I can't get out to run one mile on a regular basis right now...it's hard with a little one. Also, I LOVE the idea of going around and sharing one thing you are proud of that week. I think you and your girlfriends should do that on a regular basis...and if I ever get a group of girlfriends I might steal that, too! Honestly, I'd like that to maybe be part of our dinner conversation every night. That way my daughter would grow up being more confident than I ever have been!

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I really enjoyed reading this :)


www.studentswife.com

Kayla MKOY said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

You are absolutely killing it.
You are sticking with it.
You are an amazing runner.
You are an even better mother.

...just a few things I thought you should know I'M proud of you for!!!!

Kayla MKOY said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates
This comment has been removed by the author.
J and A said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love this post. You should be SO proud. That is a huge commitment with a baby and without one even! I am so excited for you to run it! I wish I could come cheer you on!!

Sarah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

18 is amazing and so is that pace! You go girl!!

A couple girlfriends and I have the tradition of telling each other what we think is awesome about the others - positive/loving/encouragement. It's amazing how much someone lifting you up can do for your day!

Sarah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

woah 18 miles, that's a huge accomplishment in itself...and in under 3 hours, better then I could do...good work mama!

The Lady Okie said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I'm SUPER proud of you! You're doing great, and that is a fantastic pace. Just right around the pace I ran my marathon at :)