. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Cheapskates

January 20, 2014

Cheapskates

scarf: diy (easy tutorial here)   sweater & boots: old navy   pants: kohls

I've talked numerous times about how cheap I can be.  Which can come in handy for shopping.  Like how I got these boots last year for under $10 or these pants for under $5.  

But being cheap definitely came with a few challenges when we got married, as Chris was the opposite of cheap and didn't think twice about spending more money. Thankfully we've both learned a little from each other and have balanced each other out.  He's learned the art of saving money and I've learned how to enjoy things like going out to dinner or a movie.  

I kind of think if I married someone more like myself I may land myself a role on the TLC show Cheapskates.  Who are the extreme of being cheap.  Like not using toilet paper and making your own deodorant cheap.  Or only getting furniture from dumpsters kind of cheap.  It's one of those shows that is so disturbing you can't not watch it.  And I really don't think I could ever go to those extremes. 

Although in college we did do our share of dumpster diving runs to Krispie Kreme donuts.  And believed we hit the jackpot when we'd find full packaged boxes of donuts that could fill up our trunk.  


And I wish I could say that we only ate donuts that were in nicely packaged boxes, but that would be a lie. On the occasion we would grab the defect bag of donuts and we may have eaten those too.  I think the Cheapskate producers should start visiting some college campuses for new candidates for the show. 

Photobucket




17 comments:

Nadine said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Finally someone else admitted to dumpster diving! In college I took a class called cultural nutrition and we all had to go dumpster diving and find edible items. Clearly I went to a hippie university. We found TONS of edible food, it was insane. We didn't keep doing it when the class ended but we did continue to buy day old bagels from our local bakery at 10 cents a piece. Cheapskates unite!

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This is hilarious.

Jenna Griffin | Gold & Bloom said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Bahahaahha! Dumpster diving for donuts. That's amazing and sounds like something I would have done in college. I'm definitely a cheapskate when it comes to clothes--consignment all the way!

Sybil@PeaceitallTogether said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

It is great that you're a "deal finder." I'm not sure about the dumpster diving...that's just gross! Love the stripe on stripe. Since I have that sweatshirt, I may have to try that :)

Allison said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Haha I love this! My college was near the Nestle plant and you can bet I did a dumpster dive or two over there! No shame. ;)

Head to Toe Chic said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

You seriously always find the best deals! i love those boots!

xo,
Angela

Love, Iris said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love the stripes on stripes! You look adorable!!! Plus that scarf looks amazingly warm and comfy!

Janna Renee said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Haha I'm cheap, but I've always drawn the line at dumpster diving. However, I never thought about dumpster diving at Krispy Kreme...Now I want to do that!

maria said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

haha, I would do anything for donuts! Including dumpster diving!

Becky M said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Totally agree about going to college campuses to film that - my roommates and I totally took 2 tables someone had put into a dumpster!
My hubs is the extra frugal one, and I spend more, but like you said we have definitely learned from each other!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

The Modern Tulip said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Bahaha that is both gross and hilarious! Although in college I probably would have done the same thing without thinking twice! Jon and I are the same way. He is the spender and I'm the one who hoards his spare change when he leaves it lying around and surprise him with a stack of bills.

TheTinyHeart said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Haha, that is so funny about the donuts! I am a cheapskate as well and my hubby is the spender.

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart

Bri said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hahahaha!!! I can get pretty frugal when it comes to clothes and home decor, but that TV show...oh geeze yeah..I just shake my head and laugh. Sorry, but I need TP. ;)

Helene in Between said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

you and chris remind me of michael and I, except the other way around!! but i think it makes for a good balance!

Carly said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Opposites attract, right???

Carly
www.lipglossandcrayons.com

Justine B said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Haha I love it! I am the same way....though I have never dumpster dived for donuts hehe. I do pick up gems that are near our dumpster every once in awhile. I have found perfectly good TV trays and coffee tables.

Do you shop at H&M at all? They are having 50% off their sale items right now. On Saturday I went in and got 2 bathing suits, 2 skirts, 2 dresses, 3 tops and 2 belts for......$50!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This is fantastic! I am turning into a cheapskate, because I want to get out of debt! I laughed out loud at the doughnut dumpster diving! :)