. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Pick and Choose

July 1, 2015

Pick and Choose


You get to pick what advice you take from others.  There is so much advice.  And a lot of it with good intentions.  But you get to pick what advice you take to heart and what advice you let roll off your shoulders.   

You get to pick what battles you fight with your toddler.  Right now getting rid of Addilyn's pacifier isn't on my list.  I try to limit it to the car and naps and right after she wakes up, but if she gets hurt or is super whiny and asks for it I don't say no. 

You get to pick if you are going to dwell on the bad starts to days, the rough moments during the week or if you are going to let them go and start over.  Even if you start over five times before lunch time.  

You get to pick what the most important things are to teach your kids. I want Addilyn to know that it's not okay to hit her friends, to treat people kind and gently and am going to tell her that every time she does something different.  I want her to know that it's important to listen and obey and probably say those words 50 times a day.  I want her to know that God made her and loves her and wants us to obey Him and love him and others.  

I wanted Addilyn to be okay in the church nursery even though it took months and lots of tears. But I gave up after a few bad times at the Y daycare, because that didn't matter as much and I didn't feel up for either of us fighting that battle more than once a week.  I could fully do a better job with what foods I give her and make, and while I can't make her eat things, I could try harder to offer her healthier food.  I could try harder to get her to play independently, probably carry her around too much and cater to her more than I should. But pick and choose, right?
And I realize everyone is picking and choosing too, and that it's not always going to be the same as my choices.  To someone else serving only organic food may super important and I have no room to be judgmental or question my own processed food serving ways.  

So here's to the continually reminder that I need to parent along side of my friends and those I see on social media and not against.  And to remember that we are all doing the best we can and the best thing for ourselves and our babies.  

Image Map


5 comments:

Carol Hines said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So true my dear! And her helmet is bigger than she is. And I'm glad she loves donuts!

PolkaDottyPlace said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This is really smart advice, Katie. We all need to do what is best for our families and pick and choose our own battles. I am currently avoiding the paci weening right along with you - there are so many changes going on at our house so this toddler comfort isn't a priority right now. I have been trying to eat healthier and have Olive eat what I eat. Some days it works and some days she eats her weight in goldfish. I am sure we consume far more sweets than deemed appropriate by some. I think picking and choosing our battles and not comparing helps me to be more content. Thanks for the reminder :) PS Kevin got hired at Indiana State University so we are moving there next week :)

Kayla MKOY said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I love that you wrote this. No two parents are alike, and everyone makes different choices for themselves and their babies. I think you're doing a beautiful job at raising Addilyn to be a God loving little girl! :)

Allison said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I love this! Everyone is picking their own battles and we need to have compassion and give each other grace! You are doing a great job. Addilyn is so adorable and I can tell that she is just full of personality! Haha.

J and A said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Love this. SO so so true. Delainey ate almost a whole bag of mini donuts today. :)