. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Getting your kids to write thank you notes

October 16, 2016

Getting your kids to write thank you notes

thank you notes: c/o Basic Invite

Growing up my mom was always really good at teaching us to write thank you notes whenever we got gifts for birthdays or holidays.  I remember sitting down and writing out thank notes to my grandparents and aunts and uncles, thanking them for presents, drawing them pictures and sending them in the mail.  I want to teach my kids the same things, and want them to be grateful when friends and family give them things.  

This season with young kids feels really hard to get things accomplished.  Sitting with Addilyn is hard because I am busy with Isaac or keeping up with house things, or trying to get a toddler to sit still for five minutes and do what I ask. But you do the best you can and I'm working on these things to help me make sure we get them done! 

Keep it simple.  Addilyn clearly can't write thank you notes but can tell me what to write and can "draw" on the card, which keeps her involved and is good practice.  So a few sentences from me and some scribbles from Addi and we're done! 

Do it right away.  This is one I need to take advice, as if I don't it probably won't happen.  The same goes for actually getting it in the mailbox.  I will have things sitting on our counter forever just waiting to be put in the mailbox.  I finally compiled all my address into google docs, which helps with getting them addressed faster.  Now to just get them stamped and in the mail! 


Buy cute cards.  We are all more motivated when things are cuter, right?  Work out clothes, planners, anything that is more appealing looking makes it more appealing to actually do, right? When I was contacted by Basic Invite to collaborate on a post, I immediately thought of picking thank you notes to help me be more motivated to write them.  Basic Invite is one of the few websites that allows you to choose from unlimited colors with instant previews to help you pick.  Once you select a design you can change the color of each element on the card.  Not just on thank you notes, but baby shower invites, birth announcements, wedding invites, or whatever other card you choose.  This way you can customize every detail.  Plus you can order a sample of whatever you create so you know you'll love it before you order a ton of them! The envelopes can also be customized, and come with a peel and stick on the fold so you don't have to lick them!  There were so many options to choose from and I love that you could upload your own picture.  The quality of the cards were great.  The picture was bright and clear and I love how they turned out.


 Better late than never.  And if you don't do it right away, it's still worth it.  I figure people would much rather get a thank you note a month late than not get one at all, right?

Thank you Basic Invite for our cute cards! I loved learning about your company and am excited to order from you again.  I can't even believe we'll be planning for a first birthday party soon!
Image Map

4 comments:

Allison said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

My Mom was the same way...always made me write thank you notes and while I hated doing it then, I love it now and appreciate her instilling that gratitude in me. And that picture you chose for your card is just precious!!

Laura Darling said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Aw, I love how you include her in the thank you notes! You're teaching her so well! I remember as a kid my mom wouldn't let us use or play with the gift until the thank you note was written. At the time I HATED that rule, but now I'm seeing it taught me well!

J and A said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

They are the cutest!! I love this. And them. :)

PolkaDottyPlace said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Those thank yous are so cute!! Our moms were just alike. She'd gift us a new pack of thank yous for our birthdays and christmas so we'd have cute cards to mail out to our family and friends. We'd have to get them done over christmas break. I have been writing thank yous with Olive for a while. She scribble/colors all over the card drawing a picture, I write down what she says plus my own little blurb and we call it done. Family and friends love getting colorful cards from kids. I agree better late than never and it's such a good habit to teach kids.