. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Ten days left

October 1, 2014

Ten days left

stretching next to mama

The marathon is ten days away and I'm feeling mostly anxious.  I had been feeling fine the whole three months of training.  No injuries, and besides the struggle to get back into shape at the beginning I was feeling pretty confident.  Three weeks ago I ran 18 miles and up until mile 16 I felt awesome.  I was running a faster pace than I had for any long run and was feeling ready for the race.  Then my knee started really bothering me and I ended up walking the last mile.  Since then I've struggled to run without pain and have barely run the last two weeks in hopes of my knee healing.  I've gone to a chiropractor twice and am going again tomorrow.  I've been stretching and icing and resting as much as possible.  And a whole lot of praying too.  

I am frustrated and mad that I did all this training and got injured so close to race day.  I've put so much time and energy into training the last four months and it's hard to think that I can't run as fast as I've been training.   I am determined to run and finish but know the chances of me running the pace I've been training is slim. I'm working on letting it go and knowing that these things are out of my control, but it's hard for me not to be mad and feel like I wasted all my hard work.  

I hesitate to sound like a whiner and complainer and I know in the grand scheme of things and life, this is a small problem but it is currently consuming my thoughts and daily attitude.  I'm ready for the marathon to be over and to move on! 

at least someone is enjoying the foam roller 

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes for race day! They are appreciated!


Image Map


8 comments:

My name is Lydia said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

you are a freakin' bomb a mom. way to go. isn't running so empowering?!

two birds said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I am so sorry this happened right before the race. Just keep doing what you're doing and remember that most people never even run and finish a marathon! That alone is quite an accomplishment. Who cares how fast you run! You are amazing and you're going to rock it.

Sarah said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

oh man that is the worst! I think rest is the best solution. Good that you are getting it looked at and hopefully in the next week or so, you'll find that it's feeling better. Nothing worse than a hurt knee! Good Luck!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Have you tried KT Tape or Kinesio Pre Cut Tape?
Have you also tried Biofreeeze to help reduce the pain?

I hope it heals soon! I know how hard you worked for this!

Heather @ No Bologna Blog said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I just started training for my first marathon and that's a huge fear of mine... it takes so much determination and time to train for something like this. Hopefully the chiropractor will help and you'll be a new woman! I'll send up a little prayer for you, I know it's so frustrating! I got awful shin splits close to my first half-marathon that knocked me out of training for a month or so. Good luck!

The Lady Okie said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

:( that totally sucks. I really hope it's feeling better on race day! I'm sure the race-day endorphins will carry you through. But that is a bummer. I'll be cheering for you!

Kelly said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I know you are going to do great, I hope your knee cooperates!

Jen said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Do you have any friends that use essential oils? I just read a testimonial of from a girl in my group who is running a marathon this weekend & having muscle trouble. She used some oils with great success! Good luck!