. . . for Lauren and Lauren: What I really wore and some advice

September 1, 2013

What I really wore and some advice


This is the best I've got for an outfit post today.  Pajama shorts and a tee shirt.  And an unshowered little hair bun.  Finding time to get dressed, take pictures and blog about it is quit challenging and while I've found time to fit it in most weeks, I realize there will be times where I can't find it in or just choose not to.  And this weekend I'm choosing to take advantage with time with Chris and our sweet baby.  

Weekends and family time have taken on a whole new meaning around here and I love it!
And I love this little shocked baby face too. 


Thankfully I have a sweet friend who shared a few words of advice with me as a new mom so I could share them with you.  Maria and her sweet little boy Micha live in Holland and she shares about life with a one year old on her blog Micha and Me.


1) Let others take care of you. 

Here in Holland we are blessed to have great government provided care for after the delivery.
An hour after we came home from the hospital a sweet nurse came over to do the laundry, clean the house, cook us healthy meals and do Micha and my check ups. 
She came over for four hours a day during the first week after M was born. It was so great and such a blessing. 
Again, here in Holland it's government provided, but otherwise I'd probably have my mom or sister come over to help, maybe that's what you're planning to do too.
I remember having a pretty hard time with letting the nurse do everything for me, I just wanted to get out of my bed and take over her work.
But she wouldn't let me and I finally accepted that I was allowed to rest. And it was so good.
So, when help comes, whether it's your mom doing your laundry, a neighbor bringing a meal or a friend offering to unload your dishwasher, let them do it! 
Don't feel guilty to accept help. You've already done an awesome job of bringing a little one into this world and you deserve to let some things go and let others take over.

2) If you're planning to breastfeed your baby, make sure you surround yourself with supportive people.
 
I had a pretty hard time when it came to breastfeeding, Micha was easily distracted and it took quite a while to actually enjoy nursing him.
Luckily my husband, B. was super supportive and had done a lot of research on breastfeeding. 
He encouraged me when I thought I couldn't do it anymore and never once told me to quit.
I'm so grateful for that man, I couldn't have done it without him.

3) Don't go for a long walk right after you've had a baby. (You'll think your uterus is falling out)

I learned that one the hard way, haha. 
A few days after giving birth I was feeling really good and thought it would be a great idea to go for a nice first family walk. It was beautiful and sunny outside and I was so proud of myself for going outside so soon after delivering my boy.
But after about five minutes I began to feel really uncomfortable, I felt a heavy sensation 'down there' and I honestly thought my uterus was going to fall out all over the sidewalk.
Obviously it didn't, that would've been awkward...
I asked my midwife about it and she told me that the muscles that keep everything in place down there need time to stretch back and that was the reason for the heavy feeling.
She also told me there's no way a uterus can fall out, that's reassuring hey? :)
So, no longs walks after baby!

Anyway, I hope this was helpful for new moms, and for you Katie! 

Enjoy all those sweet new baby cuddles!

Thank you so much Maria! We're certainly enjoying lots of cuddles!

And I hope you are all getting to spend some extra time with your families this weekend.  Happy Labor Day!

Photobucket


10 comments:

Jodi said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

PJ shorts and t shirts are ok by me! I wear them some weekends and I didn't even just have a baby. Haha! I hope you had a wonderful weekend w/ your family.

Kristin said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Heck, that's what I wear most day if I'm not going anywhere :) At least the shorts are cute, right?

My name is Lydia said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Let's all move to Holland. ASAP.

P. said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Hey, right now I'm wearing a glamorous pair shorts, courtesy of my husband, a freebie t-shirt I was given a gazillion years ago in college, and a high bun because I haven't showered today. Don't feel like you're the only one!

You're welcome. LOL.

xo,
Ana Paula
{Visit me at Mommyhood, PhD}

Carly said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Aw, I totally support taking a day off of outfit pics!

Carly
www.lipglossandcrayons.com

Janna Renee said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

That is so awesome that they provide help like that after a baby! I knew I liked Holland for more than just Heineken ;)

Helene said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

what great advice- that is so neat that they provide that in Holland!

Katie {Always, Katie} said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I'm in a totally unmatched outfit of pj capris and one of my husband's old shirts (that I'm swimming in - the best kind!). I'm really glad for you that you stayed cozy and took a mirror pic - you deserve some take-it-easy time!!!

Denise said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

you are cute, regardless what you are wearing.

Classy in The Classroom said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Sometimes I love wearing pj shorts and a tee shirt on no school days! Haha! It's so comfy! I also have a hard time accepting help or even asking for help. I'm glad you enjoyed your family on this holiday weekend! :)