. . . for Lauren and Lauren: Reevaluating

March 30, 2014

Reevaluating

I'm disappointed in that fact that it's taken me awhile but I am finally working on being disciplined in having consistent quiet times.  As one of my new years resolutions, I've failed the last few months.  My intentions were there but putting into practice was a struggle.  I've been praying for a stronger desire to be in the Word and grow in my relationship with God, and the last few weeks I am making it a priority throughout the week. 

Sometimes I think it takes going through the motions even if the desire isn't there.  It's like asking for God to give you wisdom without reading His word, which is filled with wisdom.  Asking God for a desire to know Him, without doing anything about it.  But I'm ready to do something about it.  


I've tried to spent the first part of Addi's morning nap reading my Bible, and journaling.  Something I used to do often but haven't for way too long.  I love writing out a verse and meditating on the words and meaning, while I draw it out. Praying how God can use that truth in my life.  

I think one of the biggest areas God is teaching me is to work on my role as a wife, while I'm consumed with my role as a mom.  I've been trying to be more intentional about getting together with friends from church and having more meaningful discussions (as much as possible with little babies around).  We decided to start reading this devotional and do our best to hold each other accountable.  I'm excited about this study and something to help me stay consistent in reading.  




I think God is also working on my issues with worry and anxiety.  (Old news, I know).  Whether it's anxiety over sleep (mine or Addilyn's), over traveling with Addilyn, Chris being gone, worry about the future when it comes to my teaching or the stability over Chris' job, or relationships and friendships. I know I will probably always struggle with anxiety but I don't want to give it to that and want to work on it.  

I like resolutions because it's a time to examine goals and desires for the new year, but I'm guilty of forgetting about them shortly after.  But I'm ready to reevaluate and work harder.  Have you stuck to any resolutions? Ready to reevaluate some of your goals?  Tell me!

Photobucket



8 comments:

Alyssa @ SimplyMcNamara said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I struggle with the same thing! I know how much happier and stronger I am when I am in the word. I am a better wife, a better friend, a better christian, yet I stay away? I downloaded Wife After God on my kindle and this gave me the motivation to start! It's a great idea to do the study with other women as well- accountability is a wonderful motivator!

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I love that you say you like to draw out a verse while meditating over the meaning and praying how God can use it in your life. It's such a different way to spend time with God and pray. Sometimes it feels like I have to read the Bible or a devotional or sit down to pray in order to become closer with God and I don't think that's the case - I think I'll try something like what you do.

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I set a lot of goals for my self. But a lot evolve nicer weather. I'm hoping we have nicer spring weather so I can take advantage and walk my butt off! Summer I set a goal to swim a lot more. I live only 5 minutes away from our local pool - I should have done it years ago! :)

Nicole Cushing said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

What a great way to become closer to god. I am also reading the same devotion for all of april and strengthening my relationship with god as a wife. I think as we both are in the process of raising and having kids, its a great time to take time for ourselves and remember what is the importance or life. Hope all is well.

XoXo,
Nicole

http://www.nicole-kelly.com

Sassy Engineer said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I honestly can't remember if I have ever officially commented on your blog, but I love reading it. My little boy is just a few weeks younger than Addilyn. I love reading your blog because I feel like we are in a similar life stage and it is so encouraging to hear someone else walking the same path. Our little boy (Dean) is not a great sleeper and I spent all weekend stressing about it. I struggle a lot with worry and anxiety as well and it has only been amplified being a mom now. I also don't get to stay home and many of my friends do so I feel sort of isolated and alone in the mommy friend world. Reading your blog helps me not feel so alone so thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed the verses you shared today as well because I have been letting the devil speak to me more and making me doubt my abilities as a mom or fearing what might happen to my son. I need to remember God is bigger and mightier and to only focus on Him!!! Thanks!

Ronda said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Thanks for sharing, I needed to hear this today.

Denise said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Totally understand.

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I really like that you write out scriptures and meditate on the meaning. I can see how there would be real value in that because it would force me to slow down and really ponder God's word. Thanks for the idea. I definitely haven't been as disciplined with some of my goals as I would like to be, it's a good time to reevaluate and adjust.