. . . for Lauren and Lauren: The real stuff

March 13, 2014

The real stuff

I try to have at least one true post with real content on my blog a week.  Not that I force myself to think of something honest and more heartfelt, but it's nice to sit down and right a post with meaning somewhat regularly.  I used to feel the most self conscious of these types of posts, but lately its the other way around.  While I've never been super confidence in my appearance, outfits, and photos before, I definitely felt more confidence before I got pregnant. When I do get dressed and take pictures these days they are often rushed and I often second guess what I'm wearing or how comfortable and confident I feel.  I'm sure I'll write a post on this some day soon, but I've been realizing the value I used to put on clothes, my appearance and how I felt about myself physically.  

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I use my time and where my priorities are.  A lot thanks to reading the book seven, although not finished, it's definitely challenging me to do a lot of thinking.  I also am really needing a deeper relationship with the Lord and wanting to make that a priority when I get free time.  

I've spent a lot less time on my computer these last two weeks.  Less emailing, blog reading, editing pictures.  And I've really enjoyed it.  I've made a few crafts, read some, worked out more and just sat more.  I have been feeling convicted as to how much time I spend on my computer and what my life would look like if I didn't have one.  

A few weeks ago I made a new friend at church.  I'm not good at making new friends, but I want to have more friendships with woman at church and want Addilyn to grow up knowing others at church too.  I got invited to go to an if gathering brunch last Sunday and it was such a blessing to sit around with four other woman and have some honest conversations about friendship, what hinders us from putting ourselves out there and what we want out of relationships.  It fired me up to put myself out there more and am excited for new friendships.  

My grandma passed away two weeks ago and her funeral is this weekend.  Sadly it's in California and I don't get to be there.  My grandma was probably the happiest older woman you'd ever meet.  She was gentle, kind and really funny.  I don't think it's really hit me yet that she is no longer around.  It's hard to watch your parents lose their parents, and Chris and I have had to do that five times in the last year and half.  

I truly appreciate those that read my blog and leave comments.  I feel embarrassed sometimes at how much it makes my day and wish I had more time to respond to emails and read other blogs.  I do miss the many connections I had with more bloggers, but know that this season of life is hard to make that happen.  But am so thankful for all of you for sticking around! 

Hope you have a great weekend.
Photobucket




20 comments:

Denise said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So very sorry for the loss of your precious grandmother. Sending you love, hugs, and prayers.

Hima Rajana said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I don't blog when I feel like it becomes work- when I feel like my real life friendships/schoolwork are taking precedence over blogging. To me, that's just fine. Yes, someday I'd love to go on a blate, or actually pay for a sponsorship, but I'm in a stage of life right now where I need to make friends that will last me through my life, and that's why my blog sometimes takes the back seat. What I'm trying to say is, I totally understand :)

xo, Hima
Hima Hearts

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers. I'm glad you are willing to share personal stuff with us and in a silly way, I think it makes us all a little closer because we are able to relate to each other trials and triumphs. And good for you on reaching out and creating new friendships! That's one of my goals as well this year (to create more accountability relationships with ladies who have the same mindset as myself) but it's definitely easier said than done - especially when you consider yourself an introvert. :)

Emily said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I love reading your blog! And I'm so sorry about your grandma. I lost my grandma last year and wasn't able to attend the funeral either. I know how hard that can be and you'll be in my prayers.

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So glad you made a new friend and had a girls brunch too. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma too :(

Kristin said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I like to spend a lot of time reading things on my computer. Blog posts, articles, forums, etc. I don't spend a lot of time commenting or putting a lot of value into social media/advertising. It's just not a priority.

Helene in Between said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother, lauren. I'll be thinking of you! I always appreciate your honesty on your blog.

TheTinyHeart said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So sorry for your loss. Life is not always easy and I love how you are so genuine and honest in your posts.

-Sharon
The Tiny Heart
JCrew Giveaway!

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Losing a grandparent is so difficult! I am so sorry for your loss. Congrats on reading Seven. When I first started that book it took me awhile to get into it. But once I did I couldn't put it down. I also struggle with making friendships. It is hard to put yourself out there especially if you have been burned in the past. Just keep doing what you are doing.

two birds said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

i'm so sorry about your grandma. i know where you're coming from with the blogging and computer stuff. sometimes i forget that there are people in real life who want me to be there and now with them! you have to force yourself to take a step back!

Christine @ Projects Around The House said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So sorry about your grandma. I love your posts about being a mom and your adorable sweetie. I find that since I had my boy four months ago I spend less time on my computer but more time on my phone and it can be hard to put it down and unplug

Because Shanna Said So said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I have been feeling the exact same way lately...I have spent way too much time blogging and on the computer...I have taken a step back as well. I can't physically answer all the emails and read blogs all day...it's not what life is about. Enjoy your time and make the most of it...and do what makes you happy! :)

Nicole Cushing said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

This post is so true on so many levels for me. I spend so much time at home and don't have many friends and having a baby soon I want this little girl to grow up in a church environment with friends. I definitely need to work on that. I also want to say I'm sorry about your grandma and your family is in my prayers as you go through times of sadness. I hopeYou can stop and smell the roses and reflect on what you really want In this precious life we live. :)

Xoxo,
Nicole

Http://www.nicole-Kelly.com

Bethany said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So sorry about your grandma! It is important to step back and examine priorities--church, our babies, good friends. I will keep following your blog either way, but I hope we can continue to be good blog friends! While also not spending too much time on our computers... :)

Sybil@PeaceitallTogether said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

It was great for me to step away from blogging for awhile. While I still love writing and sharing my thoughts, it is not all consuming anymore. For lent, I decided to take a break from social media in the evenings. It has been a week and a half and I am still retraining my brain not to pick up my phone in the evenings. It's a little foreign but starting to feel good. Keep it up...being intentional is a bit commitment, but well worth it! XO

Emma-Cristy said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I think that is such a great thing to post an honest, real post once a week. Sometimes I get caught up in all things superficial that I forget to write with my heart and not just my mind.

Thanks for sharing this, and thanks for the love! :)

Emma
www.emmacristy.com

Unknown said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I'm sorry for your loss and that you can't be there. Maybe you can do a little memorial on your own. Good for you for going out of your comfort zone and making friends. It's hard and I find it harder when I became a mother. I love reading "real" posts. Sure outfit pictures are great but they are perfect and not authentic. I love reading about real issues because you will find that many people feel the same way you do.

Agi:)

vodkainfusedlemonade.com

Kristine@thefoleyfam said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

So sorry to hear about your grandma :( and extra bummer you can't be there. I hear ya on being more intentional about staying OFF the computer. I really think friendships online are the same offline in the sense that life still happens on both sides and everyone does the best they can. Some friendships and people can really just pick up right where they left off and it's ok that life really does just get busy sometimes. As you can see I'm catching up with you :) I've missed reading blogs as well.

Laura said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

Wow Katie, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. You and Chris have been through a lot in the past year. I think it's great that you are learning to spend your time more wisely (I also read 7 over a year ago and loved it!). I would like to do the same. This sounds lame but getting a puppy has kind of forced me to not waste time, since my time is a little more limited right now. And I kind of like it. I want to feel as though my time is valuable and to spend it investing in people, because people are who matter and who God loves the most. I can't be Jesus' light to people if I'm not focused on them. Thanks so much for sharing this here on your blog. I love your deep posts, as well as your funny ones! xo

Janna Renee said... Best Blogger TipsBest Blogger Templates

I'm sorry that you won't be able to make the funeral, but don't feel bad about it! Your grandpa wouldn't want that. {{HUGS}}